Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Adventures in Editing II: Returning to the Scene of the Crime

As you may have guessed, I'm a bit of a corny writer. I love puns. But as I've completed my read-through portion of my second round of editing my first novel -- my murder mystery -- I'm beginning to wonder if it might be a crime against writing.

I'm trying to figure out how, when I read through this the first time and proofread and edited and finagled, I missed just how terrible the first five chapters are. Or is this something that every writer encounters about their first book?

When I sent it out for the first round of friend-reads, I felt it was pretty solid. Now, I know why only one person sent me back a response.

But now I know what I need to do -- or at least I think I know what I need to do -- starting all the way back at the prologue. I'm plotting it out and readjusting my time line. We'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed we all go through that-- or else I'm a little worried writing is making more more crazy than i already was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're going crazy with the writing, Dahhling, so am I.

    Oh, wait. I already was. As you told me once, in stereo with one of my favorite professors: "If you're going to go crazy, go quickly or not at all."

    ReplyDelete