Friday, August 28, 2009

What I'm Reading (Scat and The Time Traveler's Wife)

I kind of like it that I'm pretty widely read. I love my trash, YA fiction, literary novels and the occasional thriller. These past two weeks haven't been an exception. So, here's what I've been reading:

Scat- Carl Hiaasen
Scat, Carl Hiaasen's latest YA novel, has the same scatterbrained and hilarious characters that freckle all of his adult crime novels. If you've never read a Carl Hiaasen novel, I highly recommend them. They're fun, engaging and always packed with a muckracking ecological message. Scat is no exception-- touching on issues like the War in the Middle East, terrifying teachers, troubled teens and endangered Florida Panthers you're soon lost in a rip-roaring plot. What Hiaasen does so well is portray real people who get caught up in truly wild adventures. This is a great end of summer read-- or a back to school essential!

The Time Traveler's Wife- Audrey Niffenegger
This book broke me. I can't remember the last time I read such a heart wrenching story. I picked up a copy because I started to see the movie adverts (oh yes, I am highly motivated by marketing). I'd been told how wonderful the book was for years-- but I'm not a big fan of love stories. Romances, sure, on occasion. But 'love stories' imply something deep and tragic and just don't interest me. However, The Time Traveler's Wife is something rare and beautiful. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Its a beautiful novel of hope, longing, and love. I wont be reading anymore 'love stories' for a while, but for the first time I can understand why people love to read these novels.

I'll update you on what I'm reading now in a few weeks! Have a wonderful weekend. If you've got any book suggestions please do leave me a comment-- I'm always looking for another good read.

3 comments:

  1. EFFING. LOVED. The Time Traveler's Wife. Such a beautiful book.

    If you haven't read Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer (older, and I am way late, but I never stop plugging this one) get it *now*. You won't regret it. I love to read, but even so(and maybe because of that) it's rare that a writer is good enough to stop me in my tracks. Kingsolver definitely is, and she's at the top of her game in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! I loved Kingsolver's earlier stuff (Bean Trees, Pigs in Heaven, Poisonwood Bible). How did i miss Prodigal Summer? Its going on my books to buy list.

    Time Traveler's Wife is such a beautiful and brilliant book. Its intimadating to read something that seemingly effortlessly incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Kingsolver's Animal Dreams. I vaguely remember picking it up in high school, but this conversation is making me want to see what I remember by reading it over again.

    ReplyDelete