Saturday, September 26, 2009

Celebrating the Milestones... and Moving Forward From There

So, I hope everyone out there had a productive week. I sure did. I feel like I might be back in the groove ::fingers crossed::. I beat my goal of 1500 words by almost double. And, I've finally crossed the big 200 page mark on the active story. It feels like I've been pulling teeth to get there this time, especially with the slow summer I've had. I had been starting to worry I'd never get there.

In addition to hitting that hurdle, I've started working on dossiers. And although I haven't done any editing work for either of my finished stories, I feel like I'm back in a fabulous place.

At the beginning of this week, I started thinking about getting ready for NANO.

Get ready for NANO! Isn't that still about a month and a half away? you ask.

No? You're asking what NANO is?

::rubs her hands together::

NANO -- short for NANOWRIMO, or National Novel Writing Month -- is one month of sheer madness. 150 pages or 50,000 words in 30 days, the whole month of November writers everywhere are called to action with the simple premise of literary abandon. It doesn't have to be good right away (that's what NANOEDMO is for a couple of months later). The idea is to get done as much as you can without holding back or going back and editing until you've pulled as many rabbits out of your hat as you can in a month. Jenny, Ginny, and I will all be discussing the finer points of it as it comes and keep you all updated as to our progress, but if you're interested in looking into it now, check it out at www.nanowrimo.org.

So, in preparation for NaNoWriMo, I've made a commitment to up my word counts by 500 words each week. My original plan was to hit 1500 this week, 2000 next week, and so on. However, in light of the successes of the last week, I'm going to go an extra mile. My plan is that if I go past my goal, my new goal for the coming week is set at 500 past wherever I ended with the week prior. So, if I do nothing else this week, my goal will be around 3100 for next week. Seems big, but I had thought 2000 would be beyond me this week and I blew it out of the water.

I'm also going to be doing research for my NANO story, the second novel in the trilogy I started writing during last year's NANO. In the coming weeks, I'll be working up dossiers on all of the characters I know will make an appearance in the second novel (mostly because they made appearances in the previous one). And hopefully, I'll be ready and able when it's time. For now, I'm not going to worry too very much about doing edits -- I'll do a little now, but I think I'll be able to put more focus into it after NANO.

Any of those of you out there with plans for (or are already planning for) NANO?

No comments:

Post a Comment