Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Weekend Away....

I hope everyone out there had a great Labor Day weekend. I have to admit, Labor Day weekend always makes me a little sad and restless. It's not that I don't like fall -- actually my two favorite seasons are fall and spring and the riot of color and comfortable weather both bring. It's just that I always feel that I should have gotten more done over the summer.

Mind you, I don't really think of myself as an overachiever. It's just there's something about the "laid back" days of summer, and my memory of vacations that makes me think: I had all this time to do something and did I?

Realistically, I'm not sure how much I can do these days: I don't have "summer vacation" in the old, school time sense. No endless, sun-drenched days of nothing much to do. I work now. Monday through Friday. 9 to 5:30. For someone else, and that certainly controls what I'm doing during those hours, when I'm not at lunch. And my vacations, out of necessity, all surround some holiday or other.

July was pretty much a bust. I reached page 170 in my current "actively writing" story over my brief Independence Day Weekend vacation and then spent the whole rest of July trying to get back to page 170 after realizing that the chapter as written really didn't do anything to move the story forward and if I went back and did it over, it would leave me in a better place to move forward. Embarrassing, as we (Jenny, Ginny, and I) have been working on just moving forward while writing and saving editing for afterward. And that last scene is the one I'm still having trouble writing.

August has been better. While I am having trouble getting that last bit of the fight scene to work, I have 184 pages on the main story and, thanks to some great advice, I'm going to bounce ahead a little bit and write an interesting scene that came to me last week before vacation. And one that should work to bring two other characters back into the story from the fringes they've been at for a bit.

And I've started looking at the second level edits of my first finished novel. And I've gotten a new prologue and a few ideas for at least the new first chapter. So, that's pretty good.

I probably should also not forget that August also saw the start of the blog.

So, all and all, summer has not been bad. It hasn't been fabulous, but it's been good enough that my dearly-beloved's moratorium on the computer this past weekend didn't leave me all panicky about getting something -anything- done. And it's really helped. I did bring a notebook for paper ideas. The one night I did any work in it, I outlined that scene for my main story. I think it's going to be pretty good. I have a lot of hope for it. But, I had a nice, quiet weekend away and didn't feel the pressure to have a ton done to show for the time off from work. I got to enjoy time with family and the lovely Maine coastline.

Did you enjoy your weekend? Was it a break? Or were you able to get work done? Do any of you feel that strange sadness to see the summer gone or am I just being strange?

No comments:

Post a Comment