Sunday, November 15, 2009

NANO Week 3: How Are You Fairing?

Hello everyone out there. At this point, those of you who have joined us in the exciting journey through NANO land have likewise hit the midpoint. Are you hanging in there? Are you still just as excited about your story as when you started?

If not, you're not alone. This is a hard spot. At this point you've been writing for two weeks now, pumping out word counts and exploring the world you've been creating.

This is my third year doing NANO, and while my word counts are vastly improved from the first year, those struggles still haven't abated. I just reach a point when I slow down, not for lack of ideas, but because I just question everything. I just finished a scene that breaks me because I know I'm going to have to go back and get rid of it all. Almost all 2000 words.

The only thing that gets me through this is knowing that I've come so far -- too far to turn back now. That and remembering Rule Number One: Go Forward. You go back when you edit, and editing will happen when the story is done.

Of course, small sweets and other incentives are certainly helping....

How are you getting through NANO this year?

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I've hit moments where I question my work. I go by the same philosophy of "you can edit later" and in some cases when I don't feel like doing a particular portion of a scene, I leave a marker to revisit that and leave a 1-2 sentence description of what's supposed to happen. That way, I'm able to push forward with the areas that inspire me.

    I can't keep pace with Jenny's word count though.

    ReplyDelete